Muratec Office Bridge IF-200 Internet Fax Machine IF-200 Operating Instructions
COPYRIGHT NOTICE Copyright © 2001 Muratec. All Rights Reserved. All contents of this document are subject to change without notice and do not represent a commitment on the part of Muratec. Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, due to ongoing product improvements and revisions, Muratec cannot guarantee the accuracy of this material, nor can it accept responsibility for errors or omissions.
IF-200 from Muratec Regulatory Information Safety Symbols CAUTION AVIS: ! CAUTION ! RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK DO NOT OPEN RISQUE D E CHOC E LECTR IQUE - NE PAS OUVRIR The exclamation point within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of important operating and maintenance (servicing) instructions in the literature accompanying the equipment.
IF-200 from Muratec 1. Introduction 1.1. The Muratec Office Bridge IF-200 IP Fax System The Muratec Office Bridge IF-200 captures the power of the Internet for fax users by sending fax documents over the Internet and corporate Intranets. The product converts fax documents into an e-mail format and sends them to any e-mail address, for both PC email users and fax machines. The IF-200 allows you to take advantage of the vast reach and cost savings of the Internet for fax and e-mail capability.
1. Introduction Table of Contents Regulatory Information..................................................................... 2 1. Introduction................................................................................ 4 1.1. The IF-200 IP Fax System ........................................................ 4 2. Installation .................................................................................. 7 2.1. Before You Begin .....................................................................
IF-200 from Muratec 7.6. Factory Defaults ...................................................................... 31 7.7. Send Registration .................................................................... 32 8. Customer Service .....................................................................
2. Installation 2.1. Before You Begin Remove the IF-200 from the box carefully and remove all packing material. Verify that you have the following items: • IF-200 product • AC adapter • Telephone line cord • Category 5 patch cable • Installation Guide and Operation Guide 2.2. Connecting the IF-200 All connections are made on the rear panel of the IF-200. Figure 1 illustrates the real panel of the IF-200. TEL LINE FAX SERIAL LAN LINK ACTV 12VAC 1AMP POWER Figure 1.
IF-200 from Muratec 2. Plug one end of the telephone line cord that came with the IF-200 into the “telco” or “line” jack on the fax machine. Plug the other end of the cord into the “FAX” connector on the IF-200 rear panel. 3. Plug one end of the Category 5 patch cable (supplied) into the LAN jack (RJ-45) on the rear panel of the IF-200. Connect the other end of the Category 5 Patch cable to the 10 Base T Ethernet connection. The green LED is lit when the IF-200 is connected to the network.
3. Quick Start 3.1. Front Panel Controls Before you begin using the IF-200, you must enter some information using the control keys and the keyboard. The front panel of the IF-200 contains a control panel, a four-line Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), and a computer-style keyboard. 4-Line LCD Panel Softkeys Help Key Control Keys Scroll Keys Keyboard Figure 2. Front Panel Controls Table 1.
IF-200 from Muratec 3.2. Initial Setup Step 1: Refer to the IF-200 Worksheet in Appendix A of this guide for the required information. Complete the Worksheet under "Settings for your ISP/Mailbox.” Your network system administrator can provide the data required to complete the worksheet. Step 2: After you have completed the IF-200 Worksheet, turn on the IF-200 using the power switch on the rear panel. The LCD screen shows messages.
3. Quick Start 3.3. Entering Your ISP and Mailbox Information Once you have completed the Initial Setup and received the LAN information from your LAN administrator, the IF-200 asks you to input the LAN information in a series of screens. Use the keyboard to enter the information and press OK to move to the next screen. Use the ESC key to go back one screen. Enter the current date and press OK. DATE: 00/00/00 OK ESC Enter the current time and press OK.
IF-200 from Muratec Enter the IP Address of gateway server from the Worksheet and press OK. Gateway IP Address: 0.0.0.0 OK ESC IF-200 IP Addr: USE DHCP 0.0.0.0 OK PREV NEXT ESC Primary DNS Addr: 0.0.0.0 OK ESC Secondary DNS Addr: 0.0.0.0 OK ESC SMTP Server Address: _ OK ESC POP Server Address: _ OK ESC POP Username: _ OK POP Password: _ Re-enter password OK Enter the password for this email account. ESC Re-enter the password for this email account to ensure you know the password.
3. Quick Start Enter the telephone number of the phone line to be attached to the IF-200. IF-200 Phone#: _ OK ESC Print IF-200 worksheet detailing completed ISP info? YES NO Connect LAN cable to the LAN port on the IF-200 Send test FAX and registration to Muratec YES NO Sending test FAX and registration to Muratec ****Please Wait**** If you would like verification that your IF200 is configured correctly, press YES and the IF-200 will print a completed worksheet.
IF-200 from Muratec entry a three- or four-digit number (you may change this number; see Editing a Phone Book Entry). IF-200 From the Main screen, press the Phone Book softkey. vx.xx PHONEBOOK SETUP The Phone Book screen displays a list of current phone book entries and offers four options: add, edit, sort and escape. 100/jane
3. Quick Start • Direct #: The fax number to be used if the IF-200 is unable to send over an IP network or the Internet. • Pre-connect Suffix: Numbers to be dialed after the Direct # but before connecting. Useful for calling card calls. • Post-connect Suffix: Numbers to be dialed after connecting to the Direct #. Useful for calling into a PBX. • Confirmations: Whether or not you want confirmations sent to your mailbox when fax mail you sent is read.
4. Using The IF-200 4.1. Sending a Fax Once Quick Start is complete, you have the option of sending a fax as e-mail, via a fax service provider, or over the public switched telephone network. In the first two cases, the fax is sent over an IP network or the Internet, either to a destination e-mail address or to a fax service provider who then delivers the fax. The IF-200 displays a series of different screens as it receives the fax from the fax machine and then sends it.
4. Using The IF-200 Dial # # fax telephone number Send , if you want to send to a fax number that is stored in the IF-200, and you do not want the document to go to e-mail. Your document will be sent as a normal fax for this transmission.
IF-200 from Muratec • To send a fax via a fax service provider: This is only possible for those customers who have an account with a fax service provider. Also, the Fax Service Routing field, located in the System Settings menu (see Section 6), must be defined. Dial # telephone number Send . “Telephone number” is the number of the recipient’s fax machine, not the fax service provider number. NOTE: 4.2. Receiving a Fax 4.2.1.
4. Using The IF-200 4.2.3. Automatic Routing of Fax Messages to Email Documents sent from non-Internet fax machines pass through the IF-200 and print on your fax machine. If you would like to have all incoming fax messages routed to email, this can be set up and configured in the Expert Settings, described later in this guide. If this feature is enabled, all conventional faxes will go to the email address specified and will NOT print on the fax machine.
5. Group Phone Book 5.1. Adding, Editing or Deleting a Group The Group Phone Book option allows you to group two or more phone book entries together so that you can send the same fax to multiple locations at one time. Each group may contain a maximum of 255 e-mail addresses. For example, if a company headquarters wants to send the same information to ten branch offices, the phone book entries for the branch offices can be linked together creating a group.
5. Group Phone Book A small a appears next to each number you select. To deselect a number, press the SEL key again. 8000/Branch Offices ADD EDIT SORT ESC Select all the names you want for this group and press OK. The IF-200 displays the Group speed dial number and name. Press ESC until you return to the Main screen. 5.4. Editing a Group Phone Book To edit a group, press SETUP from the Main screen.
IF-200 from Muratec Delete Group entry. Are you sure y/n? YES NOTE: 22 NO The IF-200 asks if you are sure you want to delete the group. Press YES. Press ESC until you return to the Main screen. PUBLIC phone book entries (created with the Remote Configuration Software) cannot be edited or deleted using the IF-200’s keypad.
6. Updating Information After Setup 6.1. ISP/Mailbox Information This menu allows you to edit any of the information you entered during the setup process. In addition, the following settings can be changed from their default values (indicated by bold type). Table 2. ISP/Mailbox Settings and Options SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION Delete E-Mail Yes, No. Whether or not you want e-mail to be deleted after it has been successfully printed at the fax machine.
IF-200 from Muratec 6.2. System Settings To change any of these settings, press SETUP from the Main screen. Scroll to System Settings and press EDIT. Use the scroll keys to move to the field you want to change and press EDIT. Make the change and press OK. Press ESC until you return to the Main screen. Table 3. System Settings and Options SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) DATE TIME Time Zone Time Display Current date. Current time. Time zone for your geographic region.
Appendix B SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) Poll Interval 120 Minutes. How often the IF-200 checks for mail if the Poll Mode is Periodic. Enter the time in minutes from 0 (does not poll) to 1440 (24 hours). Allows you to specify which days and times the IF-200 checks for mail if the Poll Mode is Scheduled. Yes, No. Whether or not the IF-200 checks for pending e-mail immediately after an Internet fax is sent before disconnecting from the ISP.
IF-200 from Muratec SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) Fax Service Routing The IF-200 supports sending faxes with fax service. If you have an account with a fax service provider and want to send selected faxes via the fax service, the Fax Service Routing field should be configured to the name of your fax service provider. With this data in the Fax Service Routing field, any fax number prefixed with the # sign is sent as e-mail to the fax service.
Appendix B 7. Advanced Settings 7.1. Expert Settings Expert Settings allow you to change the detailed behavior of your IF-200. It is strongly recommended that you do not change any of these settings without guidance from the Diagnostic Center. They can be reached at 800347-3296. To make a change, press SETUP from the Main screen. Scroll to Advanced Settings and press EDIT. Then, scroll to Expert Settings and press EDIT. Use the scroll keys to move to the field you want to change and press EDIT.
IF-200 from Muratec SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) E-mail Size 4096. Limit to set on size of e-mail in kilobytes. Some ISPs limit e-mail size. Confirmations Yes, No. Whether or not you want confirmation when an Internet fax is read by the recipient. NOTE: Use Fax# for E-Mail The recipient must be receiving e-mail through an IF-200 for this feature to work. This setting is applied to each phone book entry individually.
Appendix B SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) E-Mail Subject “Muratec Fax” The subject to be listed in the header of outgoing IP network or Internet faxes. Prompt for Subject Yes, No. Allows user to define subject of email. During the sending of a fax the user is prompted to enter the subject of the email. If no subject is entered the default subject is inserted.
IF-200 from Muratec SETTING OPTIONS AND DESCRIPTION (Default settings are in BOLD type) Rack mount Operation Yes, No. If enabled, the IF-200 does not wait for a key stroke when it displays “Press any key” or “Press Resend or Cancel.” This is useful for unattended operation. Auto Apply Firmware Updates Yes, No. If enabled, the IF-200 will automatically accept and update firmware when a firmware package is received via email.
Appendix B RX packets TX errors RX errors CRC errors RUNT errs DATA errs OOW errors JABBER err Collisions Underruns RX misses number of reception attempts number of transmission errors number of reception errors source of reception errors source of reception errors source of reception errors source of reception errors source of reception errors source of reception errors source of transmission errors source of reception errors 7.5.
IF-200 from Muratec 7.7. Send Registration If a registration was not sent during the initial Installation, it can be prepared and sent using this Advanced Setting.
Appendix B 8. Customer Service If you have trouble installing or operating the IF-200, refer to the following contact information for assistance: Contacting Muratec Customer Service E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org U.S.A.
IF-200 from Muratec Appendix A Table 5. Specifications MODEM PROTOCOLS AND SPEEDS IMAGE DATA FORMAT A full suite of Internet and e-mail protocols are included in each Muratec product: • TCP/IP • MIME • POP3 • SMTP • DNS • IETF, ITU Internet Fax Standards, T.37 • v.17, 14,400 bps • IEEE 802.3, 10 base T Image data is sent as an IETF Internet Fax Standard email attachment in the following format: • TIFF-F format is used for monochrome images FAX T.30, T.4, T.
Appendix B MODEM PROTOCOLS AND SPEEDS CERTIFICATIONS A full suite of Internet and e-mail protocols are included in each Muratec product: • TCP/IP • MIME • POP3 • SMTP • DNS • IETF, ITU Internet Fax Standards, T.37 • v.17, 14,400 bps • IEEE 802.
IF-200 from Muratec IF-200 Worksheet SERIAL#: 000000012345 INFORMATION NEEDED SETTINGS FOR YOUR ISP/MAILBOX EXAMPLE 1. MailBox Name John Smith 2. Gateway IP Address 22.214.171.124 3. Network Mask 255.255.255.0 4. IF-200 IP Address 126.96.36.199 5. Primary DNS Address 188.8.131.52 6. Secondary DNS Address 184.108.40.206 7. SMTP Server Address smtp.myisp.com 8. POP Server Address mail.myisp.com 9. POP Username jsmith 10. POP Password ******** 11. Your E-Mail Address jsmith@myisp.
Appendix B IF-200 Menu Chart Phone Book Setup Number Name Address Direct # Pre Connect Suffix Post Connect Suffix Confirmations Use Fax# For E-Mail ISP/Mailbox Info.
IF-200 from Muratec Appendix B United States FCC Part 15 NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy.
Appendix B Canada ICES - 003 This Class A digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003. Cet apparéil numerique de la classe A est conforme à la norme NMB-003 du Canada. CS-03 Certification NOTE: The Industry Canada label identifies certified equipment. This certification means that the equipment meets certain telecommunication network protective, operational and safety requirements as prescribed in the appropriate Terminal Equipment Technical Requirements document(s).
IF-200 Internet Fax Machine Operating Instructions Muratec America, Inc. 6400 International Parkway Suite 1500 Plano, Texas 75093 http://www.muratec.