GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide
GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide © 2011 Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved. Seagate, Seagate Technology, the Wave logo, FreeAgent, GoFlex, GoFlex Satellite and GoFlex Media are trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC, or one of its affiliates. iPod, iPad, iPhone, Time Machine, Safari and Mac are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. and used to indicate compatibility. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Regulatory Compliance FCC Class B Information This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
Industry Canada This device complies with RSS-210 of the Industry Canada Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Ce dispositif est conforme à la norme CNR-210 d'Industrie Canada applicable aux appareils radio exempts de licence.
• In the event of a cell leaking, do not allow the liquid to come in contact with the skin or eyes. If contact has been made, wash the affected area with copious amounts of water and seek medical advice. • Keep cells and batteries out of the reach of children. • Keep cells and batteries clean and dry. • Secondary cells and batteries need to be charged before use. Always use the correct charger and refer to the manufacturer's instructions or equipment manual for proper charging instructions.
GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide vi
Contents 1. Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 About This Guide . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 System Requirements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Product Specifications . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Getting to Know the GoFlex Satellite™ Device . . . . . . . . . . . .
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Restarting the GoFlex Satellite™ Device . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Shutting Down the GoFlex Satellite™ Device . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Restoring GoFlex Satellite™ to its Original Settings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Updating GoFlex Satellite™ Software . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. Introduction About This Guide 1. Introduction The GoFlex Satellite™ mobile wireless storage device is a portable hard drive that broadcasts a wireless signal, allowing you to stream content stored on the drive, such as music, videos, photos and documents to an iPad®, iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android tablet or smartphone. If you don’t have an Apple® iOS device or Android device, you can use a Web browser to stream your digital media to any Wi-Fi enabled tablet, smartphone or computer.
1. Introduction System Requirements device. To view the video, connect the GoFlex Satellite device to your computer and locate the video titled “Getting Started.” Note: Quantitative usage examples for various applications are for illustrative purposes. Actual quantities will vary based on various factors including file size, file format, features, and application software.
1. Introduction Getting to Know the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Getting to Know the GoFlex Satellite™ Device DC Power Connector USM SATA Connector Wi-Fi LED Power LED Power Button Figure 1: • GoFlex Satellite Device Power button: Press to turn on the GoFlex Satellite device. If a problem occurs with your GoFlex Satellite, press and hold the button for 15 seconds to reset the device.
1. Introduction Getting to Know the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Factory Defaults Button Figure 2: • Factory Defaults Button Factory Defaults button: Press and release this button, located on the bottom of the device, to reset GoFlex Satellite to its original factory settings (normally not necessary— see “Restoring GoFlex Satellite™ to its Original Settings” on page 31 for more information). No data is lost during this process. Activity Lights Figure 3: USB 3.0 Adapter Activity Lights The USB 3.
1. Introduction GoFlex Media™ app at a Glance GoFlex Media™ app at a Glance The GoFlex Media™ app categorizes the digital media files you copy to GoFlex Satellite. All of your videos, photos, music and documents are available within the app for easy playback and viewing. The GoFlex Media app is available for free from the iTunes® or the Apple App Store and from the Android Marketplace directly from your device.
1. Introduction GoFlex Media™ app at a Glance categories to view or play a file, or use the following controls at the top of the screen for more options: Figure 5: GoFlex Media App Top Menu • Search: Select search and then type all or part of a file name to search for any file on the GoFlex Satellite drive. • Options button: Select this button to enable the top menu controls. • Select all/Deselect all: Places or removes boxes next to each file on the screen.
1. Introduction About GoFlex Satellite™ Wi-Fi Security About GoFlex Satellite™ Wi-Fi Security Since GoFlex Satellite is a wireless broadcasting device, it can be “seen” by any Wi-Fi device within its range (up to 45 meters/147 feet). If you use GoFlex Satellite for backup as well, be aware that your files are visible to any device that connects to your GoFlex Satellite.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Before You Begin 2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ device is easy. This chapter explains each step of the installation process in more detail than what is shown in the Quick Start Guide. Note: If you have already completed the installation process, you may skip to Chapter 3 “Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device” on page 14. Before You Begin Unpack the box and ensure you have all of these items before continuing: USB 3.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 1: Connecting GoFlex Satellite™ to Your Computer Step 1: Connecting GoFlex Satellite™ to Your Computer The GoFlex Satellite device comes with a USB 3.0 adapter and cable. This USB 3.0 system provides faster transfer speeds when connected to a USB 3.0 port on your computer. If your computer does not have a USB 3.0 port, you can connect the cable to a USB 2.0 port. 1. Remove the plastic cover from the end of the GoFlex Satellite drive to expose the connector.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 2: Installing Software To install the Seagate GoFlex software: 1. With the GoFlex Satellite drive connected to your Mac, double-click the FreeAgent GoFlex® Drive icon on the desktop. 2. Double-click the Mac Installer.dmg file. 3. Double-click Mac Install and then follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 3: Installing the GoFlex Media™ app The Seagate Media Sync™ software provides other features, including tools to manage the drive inside your GoFlex Satellite and the lights on the USB 3.0 adapter cable. See “Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device” on page 34 for more information.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Charging the Battery Charging the Battery The GoFlex Satellite device uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. A fully charged battery provides up to five hours of continuous streaming. However, the battery will lose its charge faster when playing higher resolution video. When the drive is in standby mode, the battery retains its charge for up to 25 hours. The GoFlex Satellite device enters standby mode after five minutes of inactivity.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Charging the Battery The GoFlex Satellite device also charges when it is connected to a computer, but at a slower rate. Note: The lithium-ion battery inside the GoFlex Satellite device is not user-replaceable. The lifespan of rechargeable batteries is affected by the number of charge cycles. Rechargeable batteries may eventually need to be replaced. This product contains a lithium-ion battery that must be disposed of properly. See www.seagate.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Loading Content Onto the Drive 3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Now that the GoFlex Satellite™ device is set up, you are ready to copy your media files and start enjoying your content. This chapter explains how to copy content to the drive, connect to your GoFlex Satellite device’s wireless signal, and how to stream using the GoFlex Media™ app or from a Web browser.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Figure 8: Loading Content Onto the Drive Copying Files Copying Files to GoFlex Satellite™ Using Drag and Drop 1. Remove the plastic cover from the end of the GoFlex Satellite device to expose the connector. 2. Connect the USB 3.0 adapter and cable to the GoFlex Satellite drive and to your computer. 3. Navigate to the drive from your computer. 4. Drag and drop the digital media files that you want play or view to the GoFlex Satellite drive.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Loading Content Onto the Drive Before you Begin Make sure you have installed the Seagate Media Sync software. (See “Installing Seagate Media Sync™ Software” on page 10 if you have not installed the software.) Copying Files Using a Mac Computer 1. Connect the USB 3.0 adapter and cable to the GoFlex Satellite drive and to your computer. Make sure that the drive appears in the left panel of the Seagate Media Sync window.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Loading Content Onto the Drive 6. Click Sync Now. The synchronization process is complete when the spinning activity indicator stops. To cancel the synchronization process, click Stop Sync. The process stops once the current file finishes synchronizing. Using Automatic Sync The Automatic Sync feature continuously tracks file changes in synchronized folders and automatically synchronizes revised versions by overwriting older versions with newer versions.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Loading Content Onto the Drive Simple iPad Sync Click Simple iPad Sync to automatically synchronize only the media files that an iPad can play or view. Click OK on the confirmation screen to complete the sync task. If you want to make changes to the plan after it has been set up, select Edit Sync Settings on the Media Sync screen. Simple Sync Click Simple Sync to automatically synchronize your computer’s media folders (My Documents, Personal) with an external drive.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Powering on the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Powering on the GoFlex Satellite™ Device 1. Disconnect the USB 3.0 adapter and cable from the GoFlex Satellite drive. GoFlex Satellite does not broadcast when it is connected to a computer. 2. Attach the plastic cover to the end of the GoFlex Satellite device to cover the connector.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite™ Wireless Signal Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite™ Wireless Signal GoFlex Satellite is its own wireless network. When you connect to it, your device will no longer be connected to the Internet, as it establishes a dedicated link with GoFlex Satellite over Wi-Fi. If you want to connect to the Internet again, you must actively connect to the other network, thus disconnecting from GoFlex Satellite.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite™ Wireless Signal 5. Tap the GoFlex Media app to open the application. Note: You can also stream to your device without using the GoFlex Media app by using a Web browser. Connecting to GoFlex Satellite From a Mac Computer Using AirPort® If there is an AirPort card installed in your Mac computer, you can connect to the GoFlex Satellite network.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media 6. Tap the GoFlex Media app to open the application. Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite Signal from a Smartphone You can connect to the GoFlex Satellite device from any Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone that has a browser. While connecting to a wireless device is similar on most smartphones, see the documentation that came with your phone for detailed instructions. 1. Turn on the GoFlex Satellite device by pressing the power button.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media 2. Open the GoFlex Media app or a Web browser. 3. Select the Videos tab on the GoFlex Satellite Home screen. Figure 12: Videos Screen 4. Play the movie or video you want to watch in one of two ways: • Select the video to start playback, or, • Select the Options button, select the video and then select the Play button. Browser only: You may need to select a media player to play the video.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media To stop playback of a video: • Using the app: Tap the screen and then select the Done button in the upper left corner. • From a browser: Close the media player. To play all movies or videos, select the Options button > Select all button > Play button. Playing Music Follow these steps to play music that you have copied to the GoFlex Satellite device. 1.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device • Viewing and Playing Your Media To play all songs, tap the Options button > Select all button > Play button. To pause a song: • Using the app: Tap the screen and then tap the pause icon. • From a browser: Click the on-screen pause icon. To stop playback of a song: • Using the app: Tap the screen and then tap the Done button in the upper left corner. • From a browser: Click the back arrow or Home button.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media • To view one photo, select the photo. • To view multiple photos, tap the Options button, select the photos you want to view and then select the Play button. Your photos play back as a slideshow. • To view all photos, tap the Options button > Select all button > Play button. To pause a slideshow using the app, tap the screen and then tap the pause icon.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media 4. Tap (app) or click (browser) the document you want to view. Not all documents can be viewed on all devices. See your device’s documentation for a list of supported document types. Viewing Content in Folders (GoFlex Media app only) The Folder View provides another way to view your content stored on the GoFlex Satellite device, showing your files and folders in their original structure from your computer.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media Searching for Files on the GoFlex Satellite Drive If you have a lot of files stored on your GoFlex Satellite device, finding one in particular is easy. Use the search tool located at the top of all screens to find any file on the drive. To search for a file using the GoFlex Media app: 1. Select the search tool at the top of the screen. 2.
3. Using the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Viewing and Playing Your Media Wirelessly Uploading Content From a Computer to GoFlex Satellite If you have files on your computer that you want to upload to the GoFlex Satellite device without the device being physically connected to your computer, you can do so from your computer’s Web browser. 1. Connect to the GoFlex Satellite device from your computer. (See “Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite Signal from a Computer or Browser” on page 22.) 2.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences 4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Once your GoFlex Satellite™ device has been set up, you may want to adjust its settings, upgrade its software (when available), create a password and more. This chapter explains these and other features. GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences Settings helps you manage your personal, security, network and device settings for your GoFlex Satellite device.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences Restarting the GoFlex Satellite™ Device If you experience minor problems with GoFlex Satellite, follow these steps to restart the device. Note: Restarting GoFlex Satellite does not remove any user settings or delete content from the device. To shut down and restart GoFlex Satellite: 1. Make sure that no one is currently streaming from GoFlex Satellite.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences Or, 4. Using a paperclip, press and release the factory defaults button. The factory defaults button is located on the bottom of the GoFlex Satellite device, as shown in Figure 2 on page 4. The Satellite Name is changed back to “GoFlex Satellite” and any password you may have set is erased. See “Changing the Name of Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device” on page 32 or “Setting a Password” on page 33 to reset these preferences.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device GoFlex Satellite™ Settings and Preferences Disconnecting From the GoFlex Satellite™ Signal The GoFlex Satellite device can be accessed by three different devices at once. If a fourth device attempts to connect, it is blocked. The user will see a message that their device is unable to join the “GoFlex Satellite” network. To allow a blocked device access to GoFlex Satellite, one user must disconnect from its wireless network. 1.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Resetting the GoFlex Satellite™ Device If GoFlex Satellite isn’t working right, try resetting the device by pressing and holding the Power button for 15 seconds. This turns off the LEDs, and then shuts down and restarts the device.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Figure 18: Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Seagate Media Sync The My Drives window provides a central point from which to manage your connected drives. You can get to the My Drives window by clicking the My Drives icon in the menu bar from any other window within the application. See "Using the My Drives Window" for more information. Using the Media Sync Settings See “Copying Files to GoFlex Satellite™ Using Seagate Media Sync™” on page 15 for details.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device • To get more information about the selected drive, click Drive Info. • To get help, click the help icon. If you’re not able to find the answer to your question, click Customer Support to go to Seagate’s Support Web site. Note: All NTFS- and FAT32-formatted USB external drives are automatically detected and listed in the My Drives window. It can take a few seconds for the software to detect your drive.
4. Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Managing the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Registering Your Product Note: This feature is available only for Seagate drives. 1. In the Drives panel, select the drive you want to register and then click Settings. 2. In the Settings window, click Register My Product. The Seagate Product Registration Web page opens. 3. Enter the required information. 4. Click Register at the bottom of the page. Viewing Drive Information • Serial number: The serial number of your drive.
5. Troubleshooting Common Problems and Solutions 5. Troubleshooting The GoFlex Satellite™ device is a plug and play device. However, in certain situations, the setup process and product usage may require extra attention. Below is a list of troubleshooting tips to assist you should you have any problems during setup. Common Problems and Solutions This section provides suggestions for solving common problems.
5. Troubleshooting • Common Problems and Solutions Click the Refresh button on your browser. A song, video or other file won’t play • Make sure that your device supports the file format. You can copy any file to the GoFlex Satellite drive, however, the device to which you stream your media files will only play or view the formats it supports. GoFlex Satellite does not transcode (convert) the files you copy to the drive. See your device’s specifications for a complete list of supported file types.
5. Troubleshooting Finding More Help The GoFlex Satellite device seems to shut down by itself The GoFlex Satellite device includes a power-save feature, which means that it enters a standby state after 5 minutes of inactivity. GoFlex Satellite automatically returns to active mode whenever someone attempts to access the device. I know the GoFlex Satellite device is broadcasting, but I can’t connect to it A maximum of three wireless-enabled devices can stream from the GoFlex Satellite device at once.
Index downloading to GoFlex Satellite 28 loading onto drive 14 rearranging 27 searching for 6, 28 selecting all 6 sorting by 6 syncing automatically from Mac 17 syncing using Media Sync 16 viewing in folders 6, 27 A about GoFlex Satellite 1 activity lights 4 Android app 11 B battery charging 12 buttons options 6 power 3, 19 folder view 6, 27 G Getting Started 6 GoFlex Media changing app language 33 GoFlex Media app C changing GoFlex Satellite name 32 content checking for latest 6 copying to drive 14 dow
restoring to factory defaults 31 selecting in wireless network list 38 setting a password 33 settings screen 30 shutting down 31 sorting files 27 starting up 19 storage capacity 1 troubleshooting 38 updating content on drive 38 updating software 32 viewing documents 26 viewing number of connected users 6 viewing photos 25 P package contents 8, 12 password, setting 33 photos playing slideshow 26 viewing 25 power button 3 connector 3 LED 3 power LED about the colors 3 problem-solving 38 H product specifica
solving problems 38 V sort 6 videos SSID, changing 32 standby mode 40 playing 22 playing in browser 23 system requirements 2 W T Wi-Fi LED 3 troubleshooting 38 U USM adapter, activity lights 4 about the colors 3 Wi-Fi range 2 wireless signal, connecting to 20 USM connector 3 GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide 43