GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide
GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide © 2012 Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved. Seagate, Seagate Technology, the Wave logo, FreeAgent, GoFlex, GoFlex Satellite and GoFlex Media are trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC, or one of its affiliates. iPod, iPad, iPhone, Time Machine, Safari and Mac are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. and used to indicate compatibility. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Regulatory Compliance FCC Class B Information This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
Industry Canada This device complies with RSS-210 of the Industry Canada Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Ce dispositif est conforme à la norme CNR-210 d'Industrie Canada applicable aux appareils radio exempts de licence.
• In the event of a cell leaking, do not allow the liquid to come in contact with the skin or eyes. If contact has been made, wash the affected area with copious amounts of water and seek medical advice. • Keep cells and batteries out of the reach of children. • Keep cells and batteries clean and dry. • Secondary cells and batteries need to be charged before use. Always use the correct charger and refer to the manufacturer's instructions or equipment manual for proper charging instructions.
GoFlex Satellite™ User Guide vi
Contents 1. Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 About This Guide . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 GoFlex Satellite Features . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 Product Specifications . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Supported Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Viewing Content in Folders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Viewing Files on a Partitioned Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rearranging Files in the app . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Downloading Content to Your Media Device or Computer . . . . . . . . . . Wirelessly Uploading Content From a Computer Your GoFlex Satellite Device . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. Introduction About This Guide 1. Introduction Your GoFlex Satellite™ mobile wireless storage device is a portable hard drive that broadcasts a wireless signal. You can store your digital media on the device and then stream content to an iPad®, iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™ tablet or smartphone, or other Wi-Fi enabled tablet, smartphone or computer. See "Product Specifications" for a list of compatible devices and web browsers.
1. Introduction Product Specifications Note: If you’re viewing high-resolution video, you may experience less than five hours of streaming. • Do more. While you’re listening to music or viewing movies or photos on your iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or smartphone, you can also browse the Internet, from your home network or your favorite WiFi hotspot. Notes: • The ability to browse the Internet from a computer or a non-iOS/non-Android Wi-Fi device is not supported.
1. Introduction • Internet Explorer® 8 or later (Windows) • Firefox® • Google Chrome™ Product Specifications Supported File Types For iPads • Video: H.
1. Introduction About GoFlex Satellite™ Wi-Fi Security About GoFlex Satellite™ Wi-Fi Security Since your GoFlex Satellite device is a wireless broadcasting device, it can be “seen” by any Wi-Fi device within its range (up to 45 meters/147 feet). You can set a password to restrict access to your GoFlex Satellite device. See “Setting a Password” on page 28 to restrict access to your GoFlex Satellite device.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Unpacking Your Box 2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device This chapter explains each step of the installation process in more detail than what is shown in the Quick Start Guide. Unpacking Your Box Before you begin to set up your device, unpack the box and ensure you have all of these items before continuing: USB 3.0 Adapter Detachable USB 3.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 1: Connecting Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device to Your Computer Step 1: Connecting Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device to Your Computer The GoFlex Satellite device comes with a USB 3.0 adapter and cable. This USB 3.0 system provides faster transfer speeds when connected to a USB 3.0 port on your computer. Note: If your computer does not have a USB 3.0 port, you can connect the cable to a USB 2.0 port. 1.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 3: Disconnecting and Powering On You can also install Seagate Media Sync™ software to help you copy your files and synchronize them once they are on your GoFlex Satellite device. Review “Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync” on page 20 for more information on how to install and use Seagate Media Sync. Note: Your Apple® device, Android® device or other WiFi device will play files only in the formats it supports.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 4: Connecting to Your GoFlex Satellite Network You can also connect to the Internet while connected to the GoFlex Satellite network. For example, you can connect from your favorite hotspot while watching a movie or listening to your favorite music on your device. Tip: We do not recommend streaming a movie from the internet while connected to the GoFlex Satellite network.
2. Setting up the GoFlex Satellite™ Device Step 4: Connecting to Your GoFlex Satellite Network 1. Select Apple > System Preferences. 2. Under Internet and Network, select Network. 3. Select AirPort from the list of network connection services. 4. Select GoFlex Satellite from the list of networks. 5. Open Safari and then type “www.goflexsatellite” in the address bar. The GoFlex Satellite main page displays.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Installing GoFlex Satellite apps 3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Seagate provides two free software applications that can help you enjoy and manage your digital media library: • GoFlex Media™ app. This application (specifically for Apple and Android devices) categorizes the digital media files you copy to your GoFlex Satellite device. • Seagate Media Sync™.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Note: Viewing and Playing Your Media Some features are accessed and perform differently in a Web browser. Sections that describe browser-only functionality are clearly marked. Searching for Files If you have a lot of files stored on your GoFlex Satellite device, you can use the search tool (located at the top of all views) to find a specific file. To search for a file using the GoFlex Media app 1. Tap Videos, Photos, Music, Documents or Folder View. 2.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media 2. Select the Videos view.. Figure 3: Videos Screen 3. Play your movie or video. To play a video • Choose one of the following: • Select the video to start playback. • Select the Options button, select the video, and then select the Play button. Browser only: You may need to select a media player to play the video.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music • Viewing and Playing Your Media From a browser: Click the pause button available in your media player. Tip: When you pause a movie, the app automatically puts a bookmark in your movie. When you return to the movie, you will automatically resume watching your movie from where you paused it. To stop playback of a video • Using the app: Tap the screen and then select the Done button in the upper left corner. • From a browser: Close the media player.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media • To view multiple photos, tap the Options button, select the photos you want to view and then select the Play button. Your photos play back as a slideshow. Swipe forwards or backwards to show the next or previous photo in the slideshow. • To view all photos, tap the Options button > Select all button > Play button. To view a slideshow • To start a slideshow, tap the Slideshow button when viewing a photo.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media Playing Music 1. Select the Music viewTo play song(s) Figure 5: Music View • To play one song, select the music file. • To play multiple songs, tap the Options button, select the songs you want to play and then select the Play button. • To play all songs, tap the Options button > Select all button > Play button. • To play the contents of a playlist, tap the Playlists button and select a playlist.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media • To display songs that belong to a particular genre of music, tap the Genres button, then tap one of the music genres in the list. • To skip or repeat songs, fast forward or rewind by sliding your finger across the Playback status bar.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media • To skip to the next song in the selection, tap the button. • To go back to the previous song in the selection, tap the • To move forwards or backwards within the currently playing song, drag the bar at the top of the Now Playing screen.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media Viewing Content in Folders This feature is available in the GoFlex Media app only. The Folder View provides another way to view your content stored on your GoFlex Satellite device, showing your files and folders in their original structure from your computer. If you prefer to access your files from this view, the same playback controls are available to you. 1. Tap the Folder View on the GoFlex Media Home screen.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Viewing and Playing Your Media Rearranging Files in the app You can rearrange the files currently shown on-screen into a different order by selecting one of the following options from the Sort by menu: Name A-Z, Name Z-A, Date Ascending, Date Descending and File Type. Figure 8: Sort by Menu To rearrange the files, select the button next to Sort by and then choose a different order.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync 3. Select the Download button. The files begin to download to your device. To stop downloading of a file, select the X on the icon of a downloading file. The files you download to your device are available for playback from the Local Content section of the GoFlex Media app. If you are using a computer, downloaded files are stored in the location you chose.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync Make sure that the device appears in the left panel of the Seagate Media Sync window. If more than one device is connected to your computer, select the appropriate device for synchronization. Each device has its own settings. Figure 9: Seagate Media Sync for Mac 2.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync Automatic Sync is turned off by default. If you want your drive synchronized automatically while it’s connected, you can turn on the Automatic Sync feature. Copying and Synchronizing Files Using a Windows Computer 1. Connect the USB 3.0 adapter and cable to the GoFlex Satellite device and to your computer. 2. Start Seagate Media Sync. Make sure that the GoFlex Satellite drive appears in the My Drives window. 3.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync complete the sync task. If you want to make changes to the plan after it has been set up, select Edit Sync Settings on the Media Sync screen. Custom Sync Use Custom Sync to manually select the folders and media types to synchronize between your computer and an external drive. 1. In the Media Sync window, click Custom Sync. The folder section window opens. 2.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync Managing Your Connected Drives The My Drives window provides a central point from which to manage your connected drives. You can get to the My Drives window by clicking the My Drives icon in the menu bar from any other window within the application. Figure 11: Seagate Media Sync In the My Drives window, you first select your drive and then the feature you want to use with it.
3. Enjoying Your Videos, Photos, and Music Note: Synchronizing Your Files with Seagate Media Sync All NTFS- and FAT32-formatted USB external drives are automatically detected and listed in the My Drives window. It can take a few seconds for the software to detect your drive. If your drive doesn’t appear, make sure it’s properly connected and turned on. Viewing Device Information 1. In the Drives panel, select the drive you want information about and then click Drive Info.
4. Managing Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device Resetting Your GoFlex Satellite Device 4. Managing Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device Once your GoFlex Satellite™ device has been set up, you may want to adjust its settings, upgrade its software (when available), create a password and more. Here’s a list of what’s in this chapter.
4. Managing Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device Shutting Down the GoFlex Satellite Device Your GoFlex Satellite device safely shuts down and restarts. When it is fully powered on and broadcasting wirelessly, it appears in the list of wireless networks on your device. You will need to reconnect to your GoFlex Satellite device. See “Step 4: Connecting to Your GoFlex Satellite Network” on page 7.
4. Managing Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device Updating GoFlex Satellite Software Updating GoFlex Satellite Software From time to time, new software is available for your GoFlex Satellite device. To check if new software is available, go to www.seagate.com/support/goflexsatellite. If new software is ready, it will be available from this site. Once you download the software, follow these steps to update the GoFlex Satellite software. 1. From the GoFlex Media app or if you are using a browser, select Settings.
4. Managing Your GoFlex Satellite™ Device Changing the Language of the GoFlex Media™ app 3. Type your password and then click Next. The password must be at least eight characters long and no more than 64 characters. All ASCII characters are acceptable. Most of these characters are available on your device’s keyboard. 4. Type the password one more time to confirm the change. Changing the Language of the GoFlex Media™ app The GoFlex Media app supports 12 different languages.
5. An Overview of Your GoFlex Satellite Device Understanding the Components of Your GoFlex Satellite Device 5. An Overview of Your GoFlex Satellite Device This chapter provides an overview of your GoFlex Satellite device (powering on the device, charging, understanding the LED lights, etc.).
5. An Overview of Your GoFlex Satellite Device • Understanding the Components of Your GoFlex Satellite Device Red: Battery is low; requires a charge. See “Charging the Battery” on page 26. • USM™ (Universal Storage Module) SATA Connector: Connects your GoFlex Satellite device to the supplied USB 3.0 adapter/cable and to your computer. • DC Power Connector: Connects your GoFlex Satellite device to the USB to the DC power cable.
5. An Overview of Your GoFlex Satellite Device Understanding the Components of Your GoFlex Satellite Device Charging the Battery The GoFlex Satellite device uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. A fully charged battery provides up to five hours of continuous streaming. However, the battery will lose its charge faster when playing higher resolution video. When the device is in standby mode, the battery retains its charge for up to 25 hours.
6. Troubleshooting Common Problems and Solutions 6. Troubleshooting The GoFlex Satellite™ device is a plug and play device. However, in certain situations, the setup process and product usage may require extra attention. Below is a list of troubleshooting tips to assist you should you have any problems during setup. Common Problems and Solutions This section provides suggestions for solving common problems.
6. Troubleshooting Common Problems and Solutions A song, video or other file won’t play • Make sure that your device supports the file format. You can copy any file to the GoFlex Satellite drive, however, the device to which you stream your media files will only play or view the formats it supports. Your GoFlex Satellite device does not transcode (convert) the files you copy to the drive. See your device’s specifications for a complete list of supported file types.
6. Troubleshooting Finding More Help I know the GoFlex Satellite device is broadcasting, but I can’t connect to it Three or more wireless-enabled devices can stream from the GoFlex Satellite device at one time.To see how many devices are currently connected to the GoFlex Satellite device, open the GoFlex media app and tap the Connected icon. The GoFlex Satellite device beeps when I plug it in to my computer Your GoFlex Satellite device is low on battery power.