Copyright © 2013. Tile Redi Sales, LLC. All Rights Reserved 1
Tile Redi® Shower Pans
To help guide you through the shower pan installation process, we have provided the following Installation Guide, which is intended to
provide an easy to follow step by step process for the installation of your Tile Redi® shower pan, whether you are a professional or a first
time novice. In connection with your shower base and shower project, please comply with the recommendations and standards
established for such projects from time to time by the Tile Council of North America, Inc.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION FOR SHOWER PAN WITH PVC OR ABS DRAIN
1. Frame out shower stall area to shower pan dimensions.
2. Sweep out any debris from sub floor.
3. Test fit shower pan drain housing into subfloor bore hole.
4. Make sure the shower pan is aligned properly and fits snuggly against the shower frame studs on all sides.
5. This step depends on whether there is access to the drain connection from below the subfloor
a. If there is access from the subfloor below, then cut a section of drain pipe (PVC or ABS, as applicable to the type of drain) which is
long enough to extend below the subfloor and easily make a connection to the waste water pipe.
b. If there is no access from the subfloor below, then make sure the drain pipe stubbed up from the subfloor is adjusted to a height
sufficient to fit properly into the shower pan drain connection.
6. Turn the shower pan over and note that there are ribs under the shower pan floor. Please measure the depth of the ribs under the
shower pan floor from the rib bottoms that rest on the substrate to the underside of the pan floor at the deepest point in between the
ribs. Once you have that value, calculate the thickness (depth) of your mortar base (Portland cement /sand mix) using the formulas
listed below based on the type of shower pan you purchased:
a. Redi Trench™ / WonderFall Trench™ / Redi Free™ Trench Pans:
Subtract 1/2” from deepest rib measured in Step 6
b. Redi Base® & Redi Free™ (Non Trench) / Wonder Drain® Pans: (Left or Right Drain ONLY) Subtract 1/4” from deepest rib
measured in Step 6
c. Redi Base® & Redi Free™ (Non Trench) / Wonder Drain® Pans: (Center Drain ONLY)
Subtract 1/8” from deepest rib measured in step 6
Please note, do not place the mortar directly on a wood substrate. First, waterproof the wood substrate with a waterproofing
membrane, liner, or sheet rock so the wood does not absorb the water from the mortar.
Spread your mortar base EVENLY ACROSS THE SUBFLOOR AT THE THICKNESS CALCULATED FROM STEP 6a, 6b, or 6c, and offset ¾ “
from each outside edge of the pan. NOTE: The mortar base should have a consistency close to peanut butter for best results.
a. If there is access from the subfloor below and you followed step 5.a. above, then brush PVC or ABS adhesive on the outside of
the cut drain pipe and quickly insert into drain connection, and then be sure the drain pipe extends far enough below the
subfloor so it can be conveniently connected to the waste water pipe following the installation.
b. If there is no access from the subfloor below and you followed step 5.b. above then brush PVC or ABS adhesive on the drain
pipe stubbed up from the subfloor, then quickly insert the stubbed up drain pipe properly into the shower pan drain.
8. Place the pan in the mud base and firmly but gently shimmy the pan into the mud so that (i) the drain is fully supported by mud at
the bore hole in the substrate, and (ii) the ribs are completely filled with the mud by alternately applying hand pressure to the right
and left side of the pan floor until the pan ribs contact the subfloor. Level all pan sides and the let the mortar dry overnight.
Important: DO NOT STEP INTO THE SHOWER PAN ONCE IT IS PLACED IN THE MORTAR BASE UNTIL THE MORTAR HAS CURED
9. Install the shower backer board and water proofing in accordance with the standards established by the Tile Council of North
10. Seal and waterproof joint between backer board and the shower pan splash walls with using 100% silicone and/or the optional Redi
11. Adjust the height of the drain as necessary to accommodate the ceramic tile or marble
12. Mix the included approved Redi Poxy™ adhesive and trowel the epoxy onto the shower pan surface using a 1/8” x 1/8” square
13. Tile the rest of the shower.